Sunday, July 21, 2024

Happy 100th Birthday, Mom (Dedicated to Halin Pryves Leighton)

She painted in the attic

Never complained about it

Instead she hated politics

People deliberately being dramatic.

 

Imagine the journeys of women

From time’s beginning

They listened too much to parents

beliefs in subjection

 

“Girls don’t want to be single

You don’t want big muscles

Get married, don’t go to school

Take it easy, you don’t need to hustle

 

I’ve messages from my ancestors

‘cause there were fighters out there

Not those against one another

but not treating others like sisters.

 

Time we learned enlightening

Together what can we bring

Teaching about love, not fighting

It takes a tiny bit of thinking

 

I’m standing on the shoulders

Of my mother, my grandmothers,

and all my ancestors

overcoming man-created disasters

 

I got my DNA tested

I’m a mutt -- 100 percent

combination of world history

Indus Valley people had services

 

Women leading the women

In ancient Vietnam  

Fighting against oppression

Of poor people as their mission.

 

Talk about Esther -- my Jewish roots

Helping afflicted a virtue  

Teaching us to find our superpowers

Comes with connecting with our truths

 

I know I’m not the first to fight back

European cat lovers and the worst attacks

horrid generational flashbacks

Don’t call them witches or crazy asses

 

I never wanted to have children

Just loving my cats and kittens

and living with my own creations

means speaking up is divine intervention.